Tuesday, April 26, 2011

~Our Garden!~

We have been hard at work the past few weeks at the Ivey Home! Shane and I have been wanting to build a garden for a while now. I like knowing what I am feeding my family. I'm not crazy about what all is being sprayed onto plants that are bought from grocery stores and with the prices of organic food we decided to go ahead and build a garden! And plus what child does not love helping pick and water plants?! I'm sure I'll have lots of help!

Our biggest task was to knock down an old metal shed that was on our property before we bought our house! So Shane grabbed the sledge hammer and "went to town on it!" I dragged the pieces and placed them into a pile. Now we've got to call 1-800-got junk?

After that we went to the store and rented a tiller and bought the items to build a raised bed.
We covered it with a tarp so that no grass would want to grow until the following weekend.
Meanwhile we made a starter bed for seeds.
We've got: 1.) Lettuce-Prizeleaf, Royal Oak Leaf, Salad Bowl, Red Salad Bowl, and Ashley.
2.)Cucumber
3.)Acorn Squash (winter squash)
4.)Spinach
Hope this works;)
Madelyn loves helping anyway she can!
She sings the entire time too!
Murphy decided to help too!
They helped their daddy plant several of the plants that we bought.
We bought 3 Better Boy Tomatoes, 2 Grape Tomatoes, 1 Roma tomatoes, 4 Bent Neck Squash, 2 zucchini, 3 Cucumbers, 2 Bell Peppers, 2 Banana Peppers. The only thing we lack is Jalapenos, but apparently there is a national shortage of jalapeno plants! Crazy!

After everything was planted, we painted a sign;) It reads
"Madelyn & Murphy's Garden"
She was so proud of it!
I said he was all boy right?! messy!

0 comments: