Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What's going on with us you ask?

We're doing pretty well! I've started getting out of the house a little lately. I just went to the grocery store today for the first time since he was born!! Thanks to all our wonderful friends and family that has brought us meals for the past month! (God Bless them!)

It is taking me longer to regain my strength and my body to heal this time. I try to take a nap while Maddie and Murphy take a nap. Poor Shane is still carrying lots of the cleaning load. He's in good spirits about it though!(Maddie requested to hold Murphy while Joe Joe was holding him)

Madelyn is starting to warm up to Murphy now. I walked into the den and saw where she had placed a soft baby doll and unicorn beside Murphy while he was sitting in his bouncy seat! She said that they made him happy! She really doesn't like it when he crys. She comes and tells me and I can tell that she is extremely bothered by it. (She has always hated loud sounds) She's been acting out towards Shane and I but we're trying to work with her and understand whats going on in her world.
She starts school on Sept. 7. She is SO excited to go!!! She asks everyday if today is the day! I think that she'll be much happier getting out of the house too! She's very much a girl that likes to go, go, go!
I've been having problems with breastfeeding for the past two weeks...I know what your thinking...from the looks of that baby, it can't be true...well it is! At 2 weeks 6 days I woke up with Mastitis. I started antibiotics. I felt lots better after 3 days. During this time I was running a high temp. Murphy for some reason did not want to nurse at nights. He would latch on, suck, swallow, come off and cry. He would do this over and over again during a feeding. He also is making a sound while feeding like he's allowing a rush of air to come in. One of my biggest problems is that I make entirely too much milk! So I went to Baptist Hospital for a visit with the lactation Specialist. She explained our problem like this...Murphy is like a kid with his mouth wide open under a running faucet. He is not having to do any work for his food! Crazy right?! She sent us home with a Haberman Feeder (special needs bottle) We use it twice a day. She also told me a few tricks to help him nurse better. It has worked miracles for us! He is now sleeping MUCH better! He is altogether a much happier baby! Before hand he was taking in too much air and swallowing it! It really didn't matter how much we burped him, he still took in lots of air which made him extremely gassy! I could hear and feel all the air bubbles in his belly...poor little guy...which just made him hurt so bad that he would cry in pain! He is still not nursing perfectly but we're working on it! By the way..Murphy weighed 11lbs 10oz that day!

1 comments:

andreabrosto said...

We had to use the Haberman with Luke for the first few weeks. Then our lactation lady told us to only use Dr. Brown's bottles--the babies still have to work to get the milk with those too. Good luck! I really hope it gets easier for him (and you!). Love all the pictures of baby Murphy!